More and more users are spending time on mobile sites. Getting a mobile site right for your business is of tantamount importance. In a mobile-led world, consumer expectations are high.If your website is too slow to load, users will certainly drop off. On the other hand, a fast-loading site with bad user experience design makes it hard for users to complete their desired action.
What do we mean by mobile sites?Well, simply put, mobile websites are accessed through the mobile device’s web browser (Safari, Chrome, etc).
Mobile websites do not require any installation or updates.Unlike mobile applications, mobile sites do not need to be downloaded. On the other hand, with progressive web apps (PWAs), there is an “add shortcut to home” option — which Twitter has successfully used to improve engagement with their mobile site. They call it Twitter Lite. Nicolas Gallagher, the Engineering Lead for Twitter Lite, noted:
Twitter Lite is now the fastest, least expensive, and most reliable way to use Twitter. The web app rivals the performance of our native apps but requires less than 3% of the device storage space compared to Twitter for Android.The term ‘mobile sites (mSites)’ can be used interchangeably with ‘mWeb’ in this conversation
Why do users engage with mobile sites?
- Simple. They are easy to discover.
- Mobile sites are lightweight and do not require device memory for installation.
- Mobile sites are intuitive. Users are familiar with how they work.
What are the benefits of Mobile Sites for businesses?
- Build once, run everywhere. Mobile site work on iOS, Android, and all other platforms with a browser connection!
- They are adaptable. Here at Key Medium, we build responsive websites to address both phones and tablets rather than building two distinct apps for each device.
- Shorter development timelines: mobile sites enable us to allow for easy updating. Unlike apps, users don’t need to accept or install any updates.
- Lower development costs! Money talks and mobile sites are typically less expensive to build because they use a single coding language (HTML)
- The web is open for all! Mobile sites require no approvals, revenue sharing, or marketplaces.
- Tracking is simpler. Google Analytics and Conversion Tracking can extend to your mobile site, instead of installing a software development kit.
What about Accelerated Mobile Pages?
AMP is very strict in how pages are structured.
- AMP doesn’t let extension mechanisms block page rendering. AMP supports extensions for things like lightboxes, instagram embeds, tweets, etc.
What makes a good mobile website?As mobile users expect to be able to get what they want, and on their own terms, they are very goal-oriented. The following is a snippet from a 119 hour-long, in-person usability studies — conducted by Google in the United States. The study uncovered 25 mobile site design principles, grouped into several categories. They are categorized as Home page and site navigation for UX points #1 through #8, Commerce And Conversion for points #9 through #13, Form entry for points #14 through #18, and Usability and form factor for points #19 through #25.
- Keep calls to action front and center.
- Keep menus short and sweet
- Make it easy to get back to the home page
- Don’t let promotions steal the show
- Make site search visible
- Ensure site search results are relevant
- Implement filters to narrow results
- Guide users to better site search results
- Let users explore before they commit
- Let users purchase as guests
- Use existing information to maximize convenience
- Use click-to-call buttons for complex tasks
- Make it easy to finish on another device
- Streamline information entry
- Choose the simplest input
- Provide visual calendar for date selection
- Minimize form errors with labeling and real-time validation
- Design efficient forms
- Optimize your entire site for mobile
- Don’t make users pinch-to-zoom
- Make product images expandable
- Tell users which orientation works best
- Keep your user in a single browser window
- Avoid “full site” labeling
- Be clear why you need a user’s location
Need a dazzling mobile website designed?
I am certified by Google as a Mobile Sites Expert.
All in all, if you are considering a mobile app – consider all of the above. If you are interested in having us craft a proposal of expert web services for your new, custom website – connect with us and let’s talk.
Tools for Your Mobile Site:
Sources & References: