People are 5x more likely to leave a mobile website that loads slowly and isn’t mobile-friendly.
Google’s mobile website speed test identifies areas in which a website can improve your site to keep more visitors, including:
- Mobile-Friendliness (Responsive/Mobile-First Design)
- Page Load Time (Mobile Speed)
- Estimated Visitor Loss (due to slow loading)
- Industry Comparison
- Are you on par with the top-performing sites in your industry?
- Are you lagging behind your industry?
- Are you on the bleeding-edge with a mobile site Speedy Gonzales would be jealous of?
- Top Fixes and Quick SEO Wins
CHECK YOUR MOBILE SITE SPEED:
Not only is Google’s Mobile Website Speed Test fast, it’s also free at https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/feature/testmysite
How to Check Mobile Website Speed Fast and Free with Google
- Go to the mobile website speed test here.
- Enter your website’s URL and submit.
- Once preliminary results appear, click Get My Free Report.
- Enter your email and submit.
- Review your free mobile website speed report to pinpoint what’s working and what can improve.
Why Does Your Mobile Website Speed Matter?
Alright, your website takes 10 seconds to load on mobile. So what?
Before you shrug off a less-than-stellar mobile website speed score, it’s important to consider the categories on your report and the statistics that accompany them.
- Mobile friendliness
- People are 5x more likely to leave a mobile site that isn’t mobile-friendly.2
- People spend 15 hours per week researching goods and services on their smartphones.4
- Mobile speed
- A fast-loading mobile website is important. In fact, 53% of visits are abandoned if a mobile site takes longer than three seconds to load. 1
- 70% of cellular network connections globally will occur at 3G or slower speeds through 2020.3
- 79% of shoppers who are dissatisfied with site performance say they’re less likely to purchase from the same site again.5
- Leading marketers are 31% more likely than mainstream marketers to have increased investment in technologies that make site experiences faster.6
- Desktop speed
- 9 out of 10 people say that they use multiple screens for such tasks as booking a flight online or managing their personal finances.
- Mobile friendliness
Read more: mobile website benefits.
How Can You Improve Mobile Website Speed?
Slow site mobile speed can be improved by web development fixes that optimize your mobile site by merging files, adjusting content load sequence, leveraging caching, and creating accelerated mobile pages.
Not a web developer? No problem. Key Medium specializes in website development and can recommend and implement best practices, smart fixes, and innovative technology to help your mobile website perform at its peak.
See how we scored for our website, keymedium.com, on Google’s mobile website speed test below.
In today’s digital world, your business needs a top-notch mobile site.
Key Medium can make it happen.
- Google New Industry Benchmarks
- Google Data, Global, n=3,700 aggregated, anonymized Google Analytics data from a sample of mWeb sites opted into sharing benchmark data, Mar. 2016.
- Think with Google, 2016, Data Gallery
- Google Think Insights, January 2018. (Mobile Website Image credit: Google)
- Think with Google, 2018, Why marketers should care about mobile page speed
- Think with Google, 2018, How a customer-centric approach wins consumer experiences
Ali Jaffar has been building dazzling websites and creating amazing online experiences for over a decade. His mastery of the latest innovations in web development results in world-class website experiences set apart by show-stopping style and seamless functionality. A Google Mobile Sites and Google Analytics qualified individual and award-winning web development guru, Ali lends his talents to build and bolster digital experiences for a wide array of clients. When Ali's not helping his clients grow, you can find him doing yoga, walking his dog, exploring beautiful open spaces, and enjoying a nice bike ride around Philly.